|Wang Yi on the Five-Point Consensus China Reached with Indonesia|
Wang Yi noted that the year 2021 marks the start of a new journey in China to fully build a modern socialist country. Indonesia is also endeavoring to achieve “Lompatan Kemajuan”, or leapfrog development. Being two major developing countries and leading emerging economies, China and Indonesia share broad common interests. Our mutually beneficial cooperation and shared progress is of strategic and global significance. This visit is aimed to follow through on the understandings reached between the two Presidents, solidify strategic trust, and focus on anti-epidemic and development cooperation so as to advance the comprehensive strategic partnership between our two countries. Foreign Minister Retno and I have reached the following new consensus:
1. We will work together to win this long battle against COVID. Building on successful Phase III clinical trials, China will advance cooperation with Indonesia on vaccine research, procurement and production, support Indonesia’s efforts to become a regional center for vaccine production, and build a global community of health for all.
2. We will work together to write a new chapter of development. China will explore the strength of our respective markets and potential of our domestic demand, increase import from Indonesia as well as Chinese investment in Indonesia, and promote the sound and balanced development of bilateral trade. We will further align China’s Belt and Road Initiative with Indonesia’s vision for the Global Maritime Fulcrum, and strive for substantive progress in major projects such as the Jakarta-Bandung high-speed railway, the Regional Comprehensive Economic Corridor, and the “Two Countries, Twin Parks”. We will also harness technological innovation to nurture new growth drivers in 5G, artificial intelligence, big data and other sectors to boost our industrial competitiveness.
3. We will work together to push forward regional cooperation and development. Since last year, we have once again turned a crisis into a driving force for East Asian cooperation, which has been expanding despite the difficulties. With its remarkable cooperation achievement, East Asia has become a fine example in the global fight against COVID, and has been leading economic recovery of the world. This year, we will take the 30th anniversary of China-ASEAN dialogue relations as an opportunity to substantiate our relationship and upgrade it to a new historic height. We will also work together for the early entry into force of the Regional Comprehensive Economic Partnership (RCEP) to unleash the benefits of the world’s largest free trade area.
4. We will play our role as two major littoral states of the South China Sea by working with other ASEAN countries to promote the full and effective implementation of the DOC, push for steady progress of consultations on a COC, jointly work out regional rules that are effective, substantive and consistent with international law, and jointly maintain peace and stability in the South China Sea. Madame Foreign Minister and I also had an in-depth discussion over the ASEAN Outlook on the Indo-Pacific proposed by Indonesia and got a better understanding of each other’s views.
5. We will jointly uphold and promote multilateralism. COVID-19 teaches us that all countries live in a community with a shared future, and that multilateral institutions are more important than ever. Both China and Indonesia are developing countries in the G20. China will give full support to Indonesia in hosting the G20 summit next year. We will work together to reform and improve global governance and cooperation, uphold multilateralism and free trade, and make our due contribution to world peace, stability and development in the post-COVID era.
Wang emphasized that having stood the test of the pandemic, our two peoples and our bilateral relations will be stronger. China and Indonesia will stay closely united to usher in a brighter future for the bilateral relations and give greater confidence and strength to the region and beyond.